Sunday, February 28, 2016

Building Our Home - Week 14

A lot happened out in the country this week.  With the framing finished, other parts of the house are now taking shape.

week 14
This week Ben and I had a whole day off, which means we went to Wichita to pick out as much for the house as we could!  I would say it was a pretty good day (yes, adult beverages were needed by the end of the day).  Stop #1 - counter tops, fireplace insert, interior doors, front door and decking.  Ben did SO good!  He was pretty proud of himself also, pointing out to me several times how well he did.  He's a VERY visual person, so once he saw things right in front of him rather than on my computer, he did wonderful with decisions.  It's inevitable, when presented with two options, 95% of the time we choose the opposite one.  Luckily, they are usually so similar to one another that no one but us would probably tell the difference.

Ben's snapchat to all his friends...he was so excited
So many choices!
 Stop #2 - Bricktown Brewery.  Like I said, adult beverages were a must that day.  We enjoyed an amazing meal and some pretty great Bluesberry beer before our next few stops.


Stop #3 - cabinets.  We stopped in to look at a few samples from our cabinet maker.  He's wonderful!  We are now just waiting on a few custom stain samples to make a final decision.

Stop #4 - meeting with contractor.  We met Dave, our contractor, at one of his homes that is about a week or two from completion.  It was gorgeous, but maybe a little over the top - it had an indoor basketball court and a pool that he said was worth more than his house!  Still good to walk through and see some details of decisions we were about to make.

Stop #5 - the BIG one.  We had a 3 hour appointment to pick out: carpet, hardwoods or tile (this is the decision I struggled with the most) bathroom flooring, tile for our shower, back splash for any room that needed it, and all other interior decisions minus paint color.  Wow.  Overwhelming to say the least.  I worried that I would pick out things that would look terrible together.  The lady who helped us was great.  She helped me to pick out things I would have never had the courage to pick, mixing colors and textures throughout the whole house.  I am SO excited now.

Here's a small preview of what is to come!! AHH!

Stop #6 - dinner with Ben.  Ben and I grabbed a quick dinner after all of these decisions and discussed it all and decompressed a little.  It was an overwhelming but amazing day!

While we were in Wichita I got a message from a couple pretty great friends.  They went out to the house and blessed what will eventually be our baby's room (no, I'm not pregnant yet, but some day!).  They covered the walls with prayers and scripture and blessings.  I of course started crying then and there.  I then got to go out and see the room and the walls are COVERED.  I just sat down, overwhelmed with many emotions, and cried.  God has worked in Ben and I's lives a lot lately.  Through the ups and downs He's there, if we will just let him be.  I struggle with this sometimes.  I don't understand His plans, but that's the thing - I am not entitled to.  I hope to continue to grow toward Him.  What great friends to have to encourage this and give me a kick in the butt when needed.
My beautiful, Jesus loving friends at work















































Other stuff that is happening - lots of plumbing, duct work, roof is now shingled, tubs and showers are in, siding is getting closer, back yard was leveled, driveways are taking shape, and Ben's favorite thing - new culverts are in (he's such a man)!














No comments:

Post a Comment